Biedenkopf, Hesse, Germany → Baltimore, Maryland
Johann Christoph Anton Kossman (1803-1882) came to Baltimore, Maryland with two of his children, after his wife Dorothy (Wehn) died in 1854.
The following is from Susan Elliot’s World Connect Rootsweb WEB site “Families of Biedenkopf, Germany” (Referenced 21OCT2015 at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SRCH&db=ovenbird):
Name: Johann Christoph Anton KOSSMANN
Given Name: Johann Christoph Anton
Birth: 18 Feb 1803 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
Christening: 19 Feb 1803 Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
Occupation: linen weaver Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
Change Date: 31 Aug 2005 at 01:00:00
Father: Wilhelm Friedrich KOSSMANN b: 17 Jul 1774
Mother: Anna Christina b: 1777
Marriage 1 Maria Dorothea WEHN b: 27 May 1801 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany c: 31 May 1801 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
Married: 22 Sep 1829 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
- Christiana KOSSMANN b: 26 Jan 1830 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany c: 31 Jan 1830 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
- August KOSSMANN b: 1 Oct 1831 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany c: 9 Oct 1831 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
- Ludwig KOSSMANN b: 14 Feb 1833 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany c: 17 Feb 1833 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
- Wilhelm Friedrich KOSSMANN b: 5 May 1842 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany c: 21 May 1842 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
- Anna Elisabetha KOSSMANN b: 21 Jan 1844 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany c: 11 Feb 1844 in Biedenkopf, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany
Obituary for Christoph Kossmann from the Baltimore German Correspondent 03 JUNE 1882:
“Death of a venerable German adoptive citizen. Again, one of our oldest German adoptive citizens has died, an old man, who was popular and widely regarded! Mr. Christoph Koßmann died on Thursday in his home, no. 6, Haw-street, in the great age of 80 years. He was a native of Hesse-Biedenkopf in Darmstadt and emigrated 30 years ago here, where he was active as a shoemaker with good success in his crafts. Mourning him is a widow and a son, and a large circle of friends. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon by 1 clock of the family home.”
The two children that came to Baltimore are Ludwig / Louis (1833-1916) and Anna Kossmann (1844-1860).
Louis’ first marriage to Catharine bore at least one girl, Margaret that later married Frederick Miller.
Louis’ second marriage is to Louisa Tiemann (1843-1931) in 1865 and together they had the following children:
- Children of Louis & Louise (Tiemann) Kossmann:
- John William F. Kossman (1867 – 1951) marries Louise M. Wyneken (1873 – Unknown)
- Louis M Kossman (1869 – 1909) marries Catherine Schisler (about 1883 – 1957)
- Mary Kossman (about 1871 – 1961) marries Charles Grill (about 1868 – 1930)
- Martin Gottlieb Kossman (1873 – 1961) marries Bertha Mueller (1876 – 1958)
- Louise Kossman (1874 – 1967) marries Frank Ernest Tiemann (1871 – 1940)
- Anna Kossman (1876 – 1979)
- Augusta Kossman (1879 – 1952) marries Charles C Kreitler (1868 – 1949)
- Charles Frank Kossman (1879 – 1972) marries Augusta “Gussie Theurer” Theurer (1883 – 1963)
- Minnie Kossman (1882 – 1964)
John W F Kossmann – Mystery
- John was born in Baltimore to Louis & Louisa (Tiemann) Kossmann.
- John married Martha Louise Wynekin in 1894. She is the granddaughter of the first president of Concordia Theological Seminary.
- In 1910 John William F Kossmann was a Preacher living in Van Wert county, Ohio.
- In 1920 John was a Manager, Dental College and lived at 3757 Greenview Avenue, Chicago, 1IL.
- In 1930 John was a Salesman, Brick Manufacturing living at 3628 Maple Square Avenue, Chicago, IL.
- In 1940 John W F Rossmann (sic.) is a farm hand at the home of James W Wagner in Odenton, Anne Arundel, Maryland. It states that he was there back in 1935.
His wife and family are still in Chicago.
- In fact there is a website hosting pictures of this family from the late 1930s til 1948 and John Kossman is not in any of them.
- The death certificate has John William Kossman dies Aug 31, 1951 at age 84. The parents are Louis and Louise Tieman Kossman. His body was delivered to Quarterfield Road, Cemetery, Glen Burnie, Maryland.
There is a Find-A-Grave memorial at the Deichgraeber Cemetery, 8068 Quarterfield road, Anne Arundel County. View the monument at → John Kossman memorial.
How did John come to leave his family and move to Maryland?
Bonhag, Chaney, DeLisle, Dlugokeski, Doepke, Grill, Grube, Kiefer, Kohler, Kreitler, Langeman, Macauley, Maggio, Manly, Miller, Mueller, Neault, Neff, Potee, Robinson, Rocks, Ruperti, Russell, Schisler, Strauss, Stuckert, Thuerer, Tiemann, Ulbrich, Wacker, Walb, Wehn, Wynekin
Find A Grave Memorials
- → Johann Christoph Anton Kossman (1803-1882) & spouse Maria Dorothea (Wehn) Kossman (1801-1854)
- → Louis Kossman (1833-1916) & spouse Louise (Tiemann) Kossman (1843-1931)
- Children of Louis & Louise Kossman
- → John William F Kossman (1867-1951) & spouse Louise Marta Vita (Wyneken) Kossman (1873-1951)
- → Louis Kossman (1870-1909) & spouse Catherine Schisler Kossman Ruperti (1883-1957)
- → Martin G Kossman (1873-1961) & spouse Bertha (Mueller) Kossman (1875-1958)