Baltimore City Directories 1796 – 1959
Directories are free to view except those from Ancestry.com which are marked with $$.
Abbreviations used in City Directories can be found at → GENEALOGY_IN_TIME.com
The street numbers changed after 1886.
You can see the new and old numbers with the following → THE 1887 BALTIMORE INDEX OF STREET NUMBERS
STREET NAME CHANGES
1) Try → BALTIMORE STREET NAME CHANGES
2) Use the Book Baltimore Street Name Changes: 1730 to 2000 by Thomas P. Bocek.
3) Use the 1900 George McCreary’s → STREET INDEX.
4) Use the 1993 Rebecca Gunby’s → INDEX OF STREETS.
TROUBLE FINDING AN OLD STREET
1) Starting around 1860, the city directories have a section where every street is listed along with the streets that intersect. Compare familiar names found on a modern map and make your best guess.
2) You can try looking at an old map such as the “1887 Gray’s New Map” at the JHU Library. Click on the map’s name or download it. See all the maps at → JHU SHERIDAN LIBRARY.