Import Family Tree Maker 2012 Gedcom Files into The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding by Darrin Lythgoe.
Visit the TNG website at → http://www.tngsitebuilding.com/
- This Microsoft Windows “click-once” program reads the GEDCOM output of Family Tree Maker 2012 and fixes it.
- The resulting file will upload to a TNG site and properly display all fields, files and photos.
- Scroll down to the START button.
NOTE: There is a TNG Mod that can be used on your site. Please review the mod at: http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/FTM-to-TNG_Gedcom_Converter
WARNING – FTM 2014 DOES NOT SAVE MEDIA DESCRIPTION FIELDS IN GEDCOM FILES
UPDATE – MEDIA DESCRIPTION FIELDS STILL NOT SAVED IN MacKiev FTM 2014.1 (20 MARCH 2017)
- If you have upgraded to FTM 2014, do not lose your previous version.The latest version produces a GEDCOM that does not include description fields to media files.
- Before using this utility, export your FTM-2014 and save it as a 2012 version. Find an FTM 2012 program and load it. Then save a GEDCOM from that version.
F A M I L Y T R E E M A K E R H A S B E E N S O L D
- Ancestry has sold FTM to Software MacKiev (https://www.mackiev.com/ftm/).
- We are discontinuing Family Tree Maker and are migrating to RootsMagic.
- This program will still be on this site for users that continue to use FTM 2012.
Setup And Run The Program
This application executes on an MS Windows based computer.
If you do not feel comfortable doing this, consider using the TNG Mod that can be used on your site at the following link → http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/FTM-to-TNG_Gedcom_Converter
Please use an up-to-date MS Windows Explorer for this instance.
Do a one-time install of the ClickOnce For Google Chrome Add-On. Run Chrome and search at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/click%20once
Then click the START button.
The program will do the following
- Media Links are now stored in the 2012 version of Family Tree Maker’s GEDCOMs. TNG will not attach Titles and Descriptions to the individuals and facts. The program will fix this.
- FTM allows a picture from the scrapbook to be displayed as the primary one for an individual. FTM saves this information in the GEDCOM but TNG doesn’t attach it to the individual. The program will fix this.
- FTM forgot to export the Latitude and Longitude. That’s OK because TNG version 9 will geocode all the places.
- FTM Gedcoms do not export a FORM field with media files. In TNG, If the cursor hovers over a media item, the preview does not appear. The program fixes this.
- A method is suggested for file naming conventions to sort and store files by Photos, Histories, Documents, Media, etc. The program assigns TYPES to the GEDCOM file allowing each file to reside in the appropriate folder. NOTE: For this method the user must be using TNG version 9.0.1 or later.
- Media files with an “x_” prefix can be assigned to any user defined Collection.
- FTM allows the use of an added Description Field for facts such as Birth, Marriage, Death and Burial, etc. They encourage users to enter the City, County, State and Country in the Place Field. The Description field can hold the address, Church name, cemetery name, etc. The TNG program does not recognize the way FTM stores the Description in at least nine facts and it is not presented on the user’s TNG WEB site. This program will fix this in one of three user select-able formats.
For a detailed explanation select → PROGRAM TUTORIAL