Baltimore City Directories
Directories are free to view except those from Ancestry.com which are marked with $$.
Abbreviations used in City Directories can be found at GENEALOGY_IN_TIME.com
The street numbers changed after 1886. You can see the new and old numbers with the guide to
THE 1887 BALTIMORE INDEX OF STREET NUMBERS It is a 60 mega byte PDF file and may take 3
minutes on a high speed connection. You can then save a copy on your computer for faster
STREET NAME CHANGES
1) Try the list at BALTIMORE STREET NAME CHANGES
2) Use the Book Baltimore Street Name Changes: 1730 to 2000 by Thomas P. Bocek.
3) Use the 1900 George McCreary's STREET INDEX.
4) Use the 1993 Rebecca Gunby's INDEX OF STREETS.
TROUBLE FINDING AN OLD STREET
1) Starting around 1860, the city directories have a section where every street is listed along with
the streets that intersect. Compare familiar names found on a modern map and make your best
2) You can try looking at an old map such as the "1887 Gray's New Map" at the JHU Library. Click on
the map's name or download it. See all the maps at the JHU SHERIDAN LIBRARY.
Back to Main Page
Copyright 2008 - 2015 Stephen A Conner